Down for Maintenance
There are a few situations where you might want to take your store offline:
- Performing backups
- Disruption of business due to personal emergency
- Moving your website to another hoster
- Updating your stock counts if you track inventory
The configuration screen Admin > Configuration > Website Maintenance allows you to put your store in maintenance mode and controls how your store appears to customers when it is down for maintenance.
The behavior of a store which is down for maintenance is as follows:
- Customers will only see your home page; they are not permitted to browse.
- You may restrict their view of the store further if desired. For example, you can turn off sideboxes or hide prices as well; see the possibilities on the Website Maintenance configuration page.
Here’s what a site might look like in down for maintenance mode:
You could turn off the sideboxes during down for maintenance, and it would look like this:
As the storeowner, you may want to still be able to browse your store while it is in maintenance mode. To do so, go to
Admin > Configuration > Website Maintenance, and add your IP to the list in the
Down For Maintenance (exclude this IP-Address) field.