What is a Template?
Before you read this article, please be sure you are familiar with Basic Terms used in describing Zen Cart files.
What is a template?
A template (sometimes called a “theme”) is a set of files that controls how the Zen Cart storefront looks.
The following list outlines the elements of a template:
- Template Pages - how content display is structured
- Header - top part of template, including logo and top menu area if any
- Sideboxes - narrow pieces of content that are placed on the left and right edges of all pages
- Centerboxes - wide pieces of content that are placed in the center of the page on specific pages
- Stylesheet - the CSS that controls the layout of the site
- Responsiveness - modern templates must look good on mobile devices like phones and tablets
What’s the difference between templates and overrides?
Creating a new template means you are using the
even if just to create
folders below that. But generally, a new template also uses
- language file overrides like
- code overrides like
What can I not override?
What is template default?
I created a new template, but can’t see it in Admin > Tools > Template Selection
This can happen if you have forgotten to create the
See the template_info FAQ.