Diagnosing Obscure Issues
General Troubleshooting to find odd problems
The most detailed procedure to follow to find out what’s wrong when you’ve made some system changes or just completed an upgrade but something’s not working well, or you’re getting unexplained results, would be:
- Download all your site’s files with your FTP tool to a new temporary folder on your PC.
- Run a file compare utility to compare all your site’s files against a freshly unzipped copy of the same version of Zen Cart. You can find the original release ZIPs here.
- Identify all the differences, and check each one to see if it could cause the problem.
Things to look for are:
- Unexpected blank lines or spaces at top or bottom of files.
- Customized code that’s missing closing brackets ) or braces } or semicolons ; or quote marks ‘ and “.
- Incomplete files that may have not been uploaded properly.
- Mods that have been installed, and whether they’ve been done right or not.
- Files that have been upgraded incompletely.
- Files that have been corrupted during upload by becoming double-spaced due to improper handling of end-of-line characters.
Most Common Causes:
- In many cases it’s a result of
define()statements being customized and missing the closing
');or maybe using
'marks inside strings but not using
\'instead so the
'is treated properly.
- Second most common root cause is poorly-written mods.
- Third most common is an incomplete upgrade of PHP files.
In your post, please include your Zen Cart and PHP versions, and a link to your site.
Was this page helpful?
Glad to hear it! Please tell us how we can improve.
Sorry to hear that. Please tell us how we can improve.