Basics - Useful Tools
Descriptions of these tools can be found at the individual web sites
PHP, HTML and Text Editors
You need a plain text editor to modify the Zen Cart files. You cannot use MS Word or other document editors. Here are some options.
- Sublime Text (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- PhpStorm (Windows, Mac, Linux) Full-featured IDE
- UltraEdit (Windows)
Hash Validation Tools
- HashTab - Windows tool for validating MD5/SHA1 hashes of downloaded files
- Microsoft checksum tool
- Get-FileHash checksum tool
- Terminal (Command-Line):
shasum -a 256 FILENAME
Text search tools are useful for finding the locations of strings you want to change.
- The Developers Toolkit in your Zen Cart Admin
- Any of the PHP and Text Editors mentioned above
Online Image Editors
File Comparison Utility
File comparison tools allow you to compare older versions of Zen Cart with newer versions, or compare a vanilla copy of a file with a copy from a modification or plugin.
- Araxis Merge (Windows, Mac) ** Offers 3-way comparisons **
- Beyond Compare (Windows and Mac and Linux) ** Offers 3-way comparisons! **
FTP stands for “File Transfer Protocol.” You use FTP to connect to your hoster and upload files to your cart. An example of transferring a file is provided in Installing a File.
Note that whatever tool you select must have the ability to do secure file transfer.
- WinSCP A great Windows-based secure-FTP program. RECOMMENDED
- FileZilla (Windows, Mac, Linux)
NOTE: download from the official https://filezilla-project.org link only.
NOTE: do not store passwords in Filezilla; type them in each time
- CyberDuck FTP (Windows, Mac)
File Archiver/Zip/Unzip Utility
The Zen Cart code and plugins come in
.zip format, so you need a way to handle files like this.
Database Manipulation Tools
- TablePlus (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- SQLyog CE (Windows)
- MySQL Workbench Free tool for analyzing MySQL database queries
- Navicat (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- SQLyog (Windows)
- Querious (Mac)
- JetBrains DataGrip (Windows, Mac, Linux) (part of phpStorm)